Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Lesson 11 Pate a Choux, Chantilly cream and ganache

Today Chef Knight demo how to do a stove top custard.First we started with the Lemon Curd wich is the filling for the lemon tarts.We also made stove top Italian Meringue to cover the Lemon Tart.We learned to make Pate a Choux, which its translation is Cabbage Paste.

DEMO:
• Lemon Curd
• Italian Meringue
• Lemon Meringue Tart
• Pâte a Choux

Student Production:
• Bake off tartlet shells
• Lemon Meringue Tart
• Pâte a Choux
• Clean Kitchen

PÂTE À CHOUX (‘Cabbage Paste’)
Yield: 2 lbs.
8 oz. Water
2 ½ oz. Butter, unsalted
¼ oz. Sugar, granulated
1/8 oz. Salt, kosher
4 ¼ oz. Bread Flour
3 ½ each Eggs, large
1 each Egg for washing

LEMON CUSTARD / CURD (TEAMS OF 2)
Yield filling for 6 tartlettes
3 each Eggs (large)
3 each Egg yolks (large)
7 oz. Sugar, granulated
2 each Zest of lemon
5 ½ oz. Lemon Juice
2 oz. Butter, unsalted

ITALIAN MERINGUE (TEAMS OF 2)
Yield: 6 tartlettes
4 oz. Egg Whites
8 oz. Sugar, granulated
2 oz. Corn Syrup, light
A/N Water

LEMON MERINGUE TART
Yield: 6 tartlettes
1 each Pâte Sucrée tart shell (fully baked)
1 recipe Lemon Custard
1 recipe Italian Meringue
1 each Egg White (large)

The lemon tart is awesome we did the tart using lemon juice and zest and it was delicious my daughters devour it when it hit home LOL. Although at class Chef Knight observed that my meringue was about to melt. What happened was that I took long from the time I did the meringue to the time I was decorating with it.
We also used a torch for the first time and put some color on the meringue.
Today I discovered that the italian meringue has corn syrup on it and that is why it taste like it. Is a very stable meringue perfect for a lemon curd tart.
The tart shell is one of the many we did in a class before, very useful to know we can cook them in advance.
The pate a choux did not came well, I need to come better prepared this day I did not had a tip to pour my dough and the tip I had poured dough so thin that it does not look right.
Today I was running to the interview of my daughter for citizenship and did not took any picture of my tart

No comments:

Post a Comment